Describe the project (goals, requirements and outcome):
- Achieving stress-free customer support in all aspects of the travel experience.
- Customer service using a complicated knowledge system consisting of multiple systems.
- Build a new knowledge system with high searchability that does not rely on the experience and intuition of the operator.
- Make it possible for staff working at contact points with domestic and overseas customers to instantly check shared knowledge.
- Establish a system that can instantly and centrally update knowledge shared to the world from inside or outside the company.
- Improve speed of operator response to customers and reduce stress.
- Increase productivity to enable shift of human resources to areas of added value.
- Provide a foundation for a stress-free experience for all customers by supporting their self-initiative.
With "A system that is easy for operators and administrators to use" in mind, Japan Airlines worked on building with agile development under circumstances where they could not extend the delivery date due to the old system approaching its EoL. At one point it was difficult to proceed with the project due to the spread of the new coronavirus infection. However, they scrutinized the content of over 10,000 pages, gradually solidified the requirements, and proceeded with the improvement and development of the functions, designs, and UI, and they were able to move the project forward according to schedule.
With POLARIS, the previously distributed knowledge has become integrated, and in addition to contact centers, staff working at contact points with domestic and overseas customers such as airports can now check shared information in a timely manner.
Maintenance has also become much easier. With the old system, it was necessary to physically come to the company to do updates, but after the renewal, it is now possible to do it from home. This is a tremendous advantage in this pandemic age.
The ability to update information instantly for all employees is also a major achievement. In this pandemic, where circumstances change on a daily basis, it is necessary to be able to update information for all employees instantly. With the introduction of POLARIS, Japan Airlines has established a system that can centrally update knowledge that is shared throughout the world.